That’s it. It took almost 4 years, but the Magnetic Cello is finally something that could perform music in front of a crowd, and is finally something I’d be proud to sell:
The Magnetic Cellos themselves have been in their completed state for about a month, but I needed some time to rebuild the magnetic bows with bigger magnets. It’s been a little frustrating, waiting two weeks for the laser cut wooden parts to come in, and then realizing I had made a mistake and needing another two weeks to receive more custom parts, but today I finally had all the parts (and time) I needed to finish the whole instrument.
The instrument is, of course, still experimental, and there are around 5 or 6 thousand little things I would change in how I built these instruments. But it is no longer a “prototype”. I’m finally confident that this is an instrument an adventurous musician could pick up and play. And I’m confident that he could play both old classical pieces (in a somewhat different way) and wacky new sounds not possible on other instruments.
The next step, of course, is to actually sell these instruments. After I finish this post (and microwave myself some pasta), I’ll be contacting those musicians who expressed interest in the instrument last summer. It’s taken more time and more money than I had promised, but I think it’s also better quality. My old cello teacher’s music store is also always an option.
I’m not ready to go viral again, like I did two autumns ago when I was just on version 5. But if I am able to sell a few Magnetic Cellos now, and figure out a few ways to build them better and easier for the future, this whole “making music by waving magnets around” thing might just catch on.
Now for some pasta.